- Published: 07 December 2020 07 December 2020
Join In Person
If you know the unit you wish to join or prefer to connect with a local unit, follow these steps:
Download Membership Application
1. Print off and complete the American Legion Auxiliary Membership Application:
2. Obtain proof of your eligibility.
Note: If the person who provides your eligibility is living, they must be a current member of The American Legion and eligibility documentation is likely not necessary; however you do need to provide his or her American Legion member ID number and Post information on your application.
If the person who provides your eligibility is deceased, acceptable eligibility documents include:
a. DD-214 Discharge Papers (not issued until after the Korean War)
b. Official Military Orders
c. Official Military Service Citations/Awards
d. Letters related to the veteran’s military service. Must be on official government letterhead
e. Certificate from the VA records center in St. Louis
f. Data from the back of older discharges
*DD-214 Discharge Papers can be requested online by visiting www.archives.gov
3. Do you know of an American Legion Auxiliary Unit in your community that you would like to join?
a. If yes, contact a member of that Unit so you can submit your membership application & eligibility documentation. Members of the Unit can inform you of their programs, mission activities, events, and annual dues.
b. If no, fill out the volunteer interest form and we’ll help get a local ALA member to connect you with unit(s) in your area.
4. Once your membership application has been accepted, submit your annual dues payment to your local American Legion Auxiliary Unit.
Your unit will forward your application and dues payment to your Department Headquarters for processing.